My Blog List

Wednesday 20 July 2016

Wednesday - Question Day

I'm not going to answer a question today. I'm just going to muse.

I mentioned the blog at work today and that Friday's post will be rather controversial as it features a well known tragedy and I was asked if I meant  the Summerland Disaster.
I replied that I did not and  that I have no plans to feature any postcards  of Summerland on the blog as it is too close to home for most of my readers and is still an emotional subject in the Isle of Man even after 43 years.The anniversary of the disaster in which over 50 people died is coming up at the start of next month and a one minute's silence is planned to commemorate the victims. I intend to take part.
It does make me ponder why I'm willing to feature certain controversial subjects and not others and which other subject matter I would shy away from posting about.
I would certainly not post any cards featuring cultural heritage destroyed in large scale recent disasters, for example the Earthquake in Haiti in 2010 or the one in Nepal last year. The loss of life was too large and the countries involved are still recovering so it wouldn't be appropriate for me to discuss. I know other news sites have run stories on the loss of cultural heritage and UNSCO are also assessing the damage done, but for now at least you won't see any cards of such places on this blog.
Is it hypocritical of me to include a card of Varosha when the Turkish Invasion of Cyprus destroyed many more lives than the Summerland Disaster and took place only a year later?
Yes it probably is, but Varosha has been covered by so many other blogs and newspapers without too much controversy that I didn't feel I would be opening up new wounds should I choose to feature it here. I'm not sure the same could be said for Summerland.




No comments:

Post a Comment