My Blog List

Wednesday 13 July 2016

Wednesday- Question Day

Hello again.

First things first, I do intend to update my post on King Island in light of the link CarolAnn sent me.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment.

If anyone else spots anything in my blog which doesn't reflect the true picture, please let me know and I'll correct it.

I haven't received any question on the blog, but I did get one on Facebook asking me if I have a favourite subject matter for cards.

I'm particularly fond of outdoor swimming pool cards for some reason. I think they look very inviting and colourful and I suppose they evoke a feeling of nostalgia for carefree summer holidays.

I like cards which show the familiar and unfamiliar together, a recognisable building but with trams and carriages rather and people in old fashioned garb rather than cars and modern clothing would be an example.

I also like lighthouse cards, art deco architecture and "through the window cards"

I'm extremely envious of this gentleman's window cards collection and I could, in fact I have,spent hours looking at them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94207108@N02/albums/72157633894905340


I have a couple of guilty pleasures. I love the so-called boring cards, the type that you see in Martin Parr's books but I know I'm not alone in this as many collectors enjoy these too.

My real guilty pleasure, because they don't tend to be popular with collectors, are postcards of dolls. I used to collect dolls as well but don't anymore as they are prone to damage, take up a lot of room and doll phobic friends ask me to hide them when they come for visits. Collecting postcards of them is a good alternative.

 I like dolls in national costumes but I also like general doll cards too. This card, sadly not my own, which combines dolls and an outdoor pool, is unsurprisingly one of my favourites.


https://www.flickr.com/photos/kitschandcurious/4775760680/in/faves-27534119@N08/

No comments:

Post a Comment