My Blog List

Monday 1 August 2016

St Peters Pro-Cathedral, Liverpool (1910)

I took a little break from blogging but everything should be business as usual this week.

A lot of my British cards will be from the north west of England as that is where I grew up and no matter how much I think I know about an area I always manage to discover places I never knew existed.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the big gothic Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool, but how many of you were aware of its predecessor the modest looking St Peters which used to be in Church Street?

I wasn't either. Nor did I know that when the church was destroyed, Harrods planned on building their first store outside of London on the space once occupied by the building.


Firstly, let me apologise about the quality of the picture. I'm having problems with my scanner at present and I'm having to improvise.

The building, generally called ugly by most commentators, but I think that is rather unfair was situated on Church Street opposite what is now Marks and Spencer's. It was built in 1704 as a parish church became a cathedral in 1880 and closed in 1910, the years after this postcard was sent. Demolition was started in 1919 and completed in 1923. During its lifespan nearly 85 000 marriages took place and over 350 000 people were baptised. I do wonder when I see old buildings such as this if anyone is still in the city who remembers the place. Or how many people passing through the busy shopping street today know about the history of the place.

The spot the church stood on was later occupied by Woolworths, but that is also long and today Top Shop stands there, I wonder for how much longer. Apparently a Maltese Cross in the paving marks where the church once stood but I can't say I have noticed. I will make a point to look next time I am there though.

For more information on the St Peter's see here.

http://www.yoliverpool.com/st-peters-church-street-liverpool/

For information on other demolished buildings and streets of Liverpool visit here









    

No comments:

Post a Comment