My Blog List

Monday 6 June 2016

Calvary Glen

I have to admit to not knowing an awful lot about this glen. I hand not heard of it until I was looking through my postcards.

What I can tell you is that the glen was created in the 1960s by Father McGrath of St Anthony's church in Onchan.
The statues were made in Lourdes and set up in "The Way of the Cross". They were also illuminated and could be seen from Douglas Head. I have tried  finding photos which illustrate this but no luck so far.
I also know that the statues, which were nearly four foot high, are now in the grounds of St Anthony's church in Onchan which was built on the site of the former internment camp.
They were moved there sometime in the 1980s.
What I haven't been able to find out is when the glen was closed to the public, but I do know that it was purchased from the Diocese of Liverpool in 2013 and there are plans to renovate it though it is still in a state of disrepair.

The card dates from the mid 1960s probably from around the time the glen was first created.

Source http://www.isleofman.com/places-to-visit/countryside/glens/calvary-glen/









1 comment:

  1. Hi! The Glen was still in operation in the early/mid 1990s. I remember visiting it on a family holiday. Fairly sure we took video camera footage of it.

    ReplyDelete